ESTABLISHMENT OF KNEB
The Nuclear Electricity Project Committee was established under the aegis of the Ministry of Energy through The Kenya Gazette Notice No.14188 of 19th November 2010. NEPC has since been transformed into a statutory body under the State Corporations Act (Cap 446) through Legal Notice No. 131 dated 16th November 2012. It was hereinafter, renamed Kenya Nuclear Electricity Board (KNEB). Its raison d’etre is to realize Kenya’s Vision 2030 by fast tracking the development of nuclear power in order to enhance the production of affordable and reliable electricity.
Mandate : To fast track the development of nuclear electricity generation in Kenya.
Vision: Safe, efficient and reliable nuclear technology for electricity generation.
Mission: To Promote safe and secure application of nuclear technology for sustainable electricity generation and distribution in Kenya.
Core Values: Safty & Security, Clean Environment Integrity, Professionalism, Transparency and Accountability, Innovation, Efficiency.
KNEB has the following functions;
- Promote and expedite the development of nuclear electricity in Kenya
- Undertake public education and awareness on Kenya’s nuclear power programme;
Identify, prepare and facilitate the implementation of a roadmap for a nuclear power programme;
- In collaboration with relevant Government agencies, develop a comprehensive legal and regulatory framework for nuclear electricity generation in Kenya;
Develop a human resource capacity to ensure Kenya has the requisite manpower to successfully establish and maintain a
nuclear power programme;
- Identify appropriate sites in Kenya for the construction of nuclear power plants and related amenities;
- Enter into collaborative programme’s related to nuclear electricity research and development with other international and national organizations;
Establish a library and information Centre on nuclear science and technology, and
- Perform any other duties which may be necessary for the execution of its mandate under this Order.